Monday, August 27, 2012

a revived table


 My Dad brought this table to my Mom after a trip to his hometown town in Illinois.  They had just moved into a new condo and had this beautiful kitchen.....



My Mom was not real happy with the choice... but it stayed for many years to come.  We found her a beautiful old table that looks great in her beautiful kitchen...  so this poor table went to the garage... and stayed there for 5 years.  My Mom could not sway anyone to take it..
Until this month... I had this great idea to establish a craft area on our first floor... and the counter table disappeared to that room.... so against my husband protest we were without a dinner table...
Since I left my job last November I have been on this kick to use what I have... so that poor unwanted table with the horrible finish came home with me...


After some sanding, stain and paint I am happy with the outcome..  I am still working on a chair plan with the "whole reuse what you have idea"...


I used my own recipe for Chalk Paint... why buy when you can do it yourself...  I would share a recipe but I never make it the same.  I do use plaster of paris, hot water and paint.  I always change the consistency for texture.   After I sanded the legs I applied my chalk paint.. leaving overnight to dry.  The next day sand.. and then add Antique Glaze by Valspar.  It has to be my favorite go to,  I use it as a finishing coat and to darken paint.  After this has dried I coat with Mimwax finishing paste wax.  I let this dry and then with a little elbow grease I rub out for a perfect shine.  So now the table that was such and "ugly duckling" is beautiful.... now back tot he chair plan.

6 comments:

hope ellington said...

.....looking good! elbow grease is really paying off!
XO~hope

{northern cottage} said...

Use what you have - you've done that well! I'm in love with this new finished table now - well well done girlie!

Leslie Harris said...

Oh my. The table looks great, but I love that leopard French chair. I think we are soul mates.
BTW-thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be stalking your shop shortly.
Leslie (Gwen Moss blog)

Honey at 2805 said...

Your did a great job and gave it a new life!

Cassie Bustamante said...

gorgeous table! i love the top- so rustic! and i love making my own chalk paint, too. :)

Kelly said...

I love how it looks now! You really did a great job. It looks like an antique table now. It helps that the style of the table is a farmhouse style too. Good luck on your chair decision. I know it will be great.